Cover of the Great Republic Monthly
In the mid-1850s, Seba Smith became editor of Emerson's United States Magazine,published by J.M. Emerson and Company, which changed backers to become Emerson's United States Magazine and Putnam's Monthly in 1857. Oakes Smith had a clear hand as a contributor (see the Bibliography), but the extent of her editorial duties for the journal is unclear. In January 1859, Oakes Smith and her husband purchased the journal, renaming it The Great Republic Monthly. With Oakes Smith, her husband and their sons supplying much of the contents, the project was abandoned in November 1859.